17 April 2008

Mister Lonely










I
haven't heard much about Harmony Korine in years. He's been living on through Julien Donkey Boy, a fantastic dogma film, Kids and Gummo, but I was convinced that he had been swallowed up by the New York art scene, doomed to be a producer or worse - a snotty backstage loafer. I was wrong. Korine has a new film titled Mister Lonely, that tells the quaint little story about a commune of impersonators. It stars Diego Luna (Y Tu Mama Tambien) as Michael Jackson, Samantha Morton (Minority Report, In America) as Marilyn Monroe and Werner Herzog (Fitzcarraldo, Aguirre - Wrath of God) as a pilot working with nuns in third world countries. I about fell out of my chair when I saw the trailer. Whomever puts this stuff together (I'm positive it's not Korine) has it packaged as a feel good indie flick. Have we learned nothing from Little Miss Sunshine and Juno? Nothing against these films, but I am no longer falling for the indie ploy. Trust no one. As a fan of his work I'll watch anything that Korine puts together - if only to walk away from it disgusted, confused or manipulated. The reviews are poor for Mister Lonely, nothing new for Korine. Filmcritic.com called Julien Donkey Boy 'a nihilistic bit of crap that wants to be oh-so-cool but is really just a low-budget exploration of nothing'. I don't want anyone going to see this movie and complaining that it wasn't what they thought it would be. See something, anything, that Korine had his hands in before you open that mouth of yours. This goes for me as well.

No comments: