19 February 2010

El Topo














I had this movie laying around for centuries before I could set aside my ADD and concentrate on watching the whole thing. It's a surrealist spaghetti western (what a mouthful) that barely has a plot, but is loaded with great visuals. El Topo is not my favorite surrealist film, but it did remind me of some great ones. Before delving into this cowboy bebop, start with Cocteau (preferably Orphée), then try your hand with the rest. You choose, this way I wont be blamed for ruining your night. Sorry again Dad.


Orphée by Jean Cocteau
















The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie by Luis Buñuel













In the Mirror of Maya Deren by Martina Kudlácek












(This is a documentary about one of the most amazing an influential surrealist auteurs, Maya Deren. It's crazy hard to find any of her films, so this is pretty much the only way to get a peek at her work. I love her like I love denim on denim. Visionary.)

No comments: