17 January 2011

Enter the Void



For You

Please don't just waltz into this film and get pissed about how it doesn't make sense and is two hours too long. Enter the Void, ladies and gentlemen, is an art film. It's been a while since I've seen one (a modern one at least), and I'm torn between telling everyone to see it, or saving it for the people who will appreciate it. Maybe a pop quiz would be best:

Have you seen one or more of the following movies?
2. Cremaster (pick a number)

Now, these movies are in no way similar to Enter the Void (sorry, nothing like it exists), but they share a common trait when it comes to pace and structure. If you were able to make it through the above, you are a perfect candidate for this one. And kids, this isn't a date movie.


For Me

So glad I saw it and yes Chad, you were right. That was by far the best title sequence I have ever seen. Enter the Void is visually amazing - that it somehow justified out of focus shots and a completely non-linear sequence (in fact that's not even the right word for the structure of this film) made it all worth while. This movie was like going to the symphony - it pushes you to a point where you're just about ready to space the fuck out, then it pulls you back in with a jolt. I'm pretty sure I screamed a few times. Although I didn't really care for the sister character, I'm not so sure we're supposed to care about any of them, and today I just feel depressed in thinking that all human beings want to do is have sex and do drugs until we die. Oh, and now I never want to go to Tokyo.

I'm tempted to give more of an explanation of Enter the Void, but I think this would ruin the experience for all of you. Just go see it. We can fight about it later.

No comments: