07 December 2010

I See You Black Swan
















For You

Okay New York, this is the last time I'm falling for your mass opinion. I couldn't turn a corner, go to work, ride the subway, or look at facebook without people fawning (swaning?) over Natalie Portman. I was convinced I just had to see this right away. It was fun to watch in the theater (in fact I recommend it this way), but you can save this one for a matinee. I disagree with those that say it was creepy - it's a dramatic movie about crazy girls and yes, sometimes things get out of hand. Black Swan is outlandish and if you go in expecting this you'll be surprised but free of nightmares.

I saw Black Swan with a fellow dancer, and she just balled me out for not respecting Natalie Portman's performance. I'll agree to meet in the middle and say that as her role demanded - she was the perfect white swan, but the black one never quite convinced me. I still side with David Denby on this one in saying "Dance lovers will find it so over the top that they are likely to be amused." Which I was. And I think you will be too. Just don't expect the Red Shoes.


For Me

A script that is written by three people is bound to fall short. In fact, help me out on this one - what good movie has a screenplay that has been passed around more than twice? There must be one, although I'm sure it's a lark. You'll save yourself some heartache if you prepare for the terrible dialogue and agree to immerse yourself in spectacle. That's all I think Black Swan was at the end of the day. And by the end, when things really get going (for a whole fifteen minutes), it's the movie's only chance to save itself. Otherwise all the makeout scenes between Natalie and Mila would have to be followed by a cold shower.

I think this is the movie where I discovered Minhola Dargis' achilies heel. All critics have one (me included), and I guess this is one I can politely overlook. Ms. Dargis has been on a crusade for the loss of stellar female roles in the past decade (or at least the decline), and this is a movie about women, starring women, and made for women viewers. The last time that happened was Sex in the City, which doesn't do nearly as much for the "female role" as Black Swan does. I guess I just wish Aronofsky didn't pander to the male audience and turn it into a suspensfull thriller. Throw that to the wind and leave in a makeout scene? Now that's not only cinema - that's European.

(18 Theaters? That's crazy. What's more crazy is that out of eight cities they chose Plano, TX. Joana, what gives?)

No comments: