24 December 2010

The Public Library

















In preparation for my visit to Florida, Mom took a trip to the Public Library. She rented three movies; Desk Set, The Secret Life of Words, and A Pink Panther something or other. Letting your parents pick the movie is a great feeling, especially since I "make" them watch certain films every time we get together - this year it's Man on Wire.

Growing up, once a week, Mom and I would take a trip downtown walk up six flights of stairs, and grab whatever looked good from the video section. Believe it or not this is how I stumbled upon Star Wars and Indiana Jones. (My childhood soul sister Kim had gabbed on and on about Harrison Ford when we were ten, but I hadn't seen them yet.) I watched A New Hope about thirty times when I rented it since it didn't have to be returned for ten whole days. And it was free. God bless the Public Library.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember watching that library's copy of A New Hope with you. Great memory. Thank you.